Welcome, friends to another fun Pinterest Challenge hosted by our friend Cindy of County Road 407! This month’s posts will be sharing everyone’s beautiful kitchens decorated for springtime. Some of us may just focus on countertops and others may share what’s up above, too. Today, I have a little of both for you…
Let them eat cake!
If you are stopping by from Rachel of The Ponds Farmhouse, welcome! Her kitchen was a dream, wasn’t it? Rustic and modern at the same time ~ I really love it!! Our kitchen inspiration photo comes from the talented Marly of Marly Dice.com. Her kitchen is ethereal with its bright white cabinets and the sunshine pouring in from the window over the sink…
It makes me wish I still had my last kitchen in California…
The Big House kichen had lovely solid oak cabinets which the previous owner had painted white and I loved them! Here I was giving them a refresh repainting in 2014 as we knew we would be selling the next year.
Our inspiration kitchen’s look
I love the soft marble backsplash and the pretty granite countertops contrasted by all the white! Marly has just a few things out on display which really complement the main colors of white, a pinkish look to the backsplash marble, and the tan brought out in the granite counters:
- a few wooden cutting boards
- two vases of flowers bringing springtime indoors
- pretty creamware dishes stacked near the sink
- a wooden display trolley with more creamware soup mugs and more on it
- a butcher block of knives ready for mealtime prepwork
I really like Marly’s quiet style! I am really a minimalist at heart, though you wouldn’t know it to see the usual stuff laying around our house, lol! But when our home is cleaned up, I love the quiet and calm that comes with cleared off counters, everything in its place, and I bet you do, too. 😉
Currently our kitchen has an Old World look to it with the darker cherry cabinets. I love the size of our kitchen, but they are just press-board. I wish the previous owner had left the 1990’s solid oak cabinets as they were better built.
For the immediate future, I am planning on painting the kitchen walls a soft grey this summer to lighten up the kitchen’s look, and I may tackle the upper cabinets painting them a creamy white, too. Depends on what I can realistically get done while off from school!
For this challenge, though, I thought about sharing more of my collection of baskets plus bringing out all of my glass cake plates and their covers. I like redoing the tops of my cabinets for the season, and the thought of bringing in some light colored items up above really sparked an idea for me! I began with:
- Gathering up all of my glass cake plates, the large cloche (to use as a cake plate cover) I used for a Mardi Gras post and in last fall’s Pinterest Challenge post.
- Bringing in many of my baskets ~ most of my baskets are a natural wood color which brings in the soft tan color from the inspiration photo.
- One cutting board is out along with an Italian trivet I have near the stove. I set these out last fall and Mr. Ethereal likes having the salt and pepper shakers, olive oil and avocado oil out all the time next to the stove. We have a framed Italian restaurant print hanging on the wall to the left of the refrigerator from his trip to Italy in 1984.
- Pretty potted plants instead of vases of flowers ~ I loved the inspiration photo’s pinks so I did bring that in with the faux flower arrangement up above under the glass cloche, as well as a potted plant from outside.
- Bringing in the glass ~ adding in all the vintage and newer cake plates above and on the counters echoes the glass vase in our inspiration piece.
- Display trolley ~ I found a two-tiered display piece at Target probably 10 years ago. Originally it was gilded and later I dry brushed white over top. I love that it has the two big sparrows on top! Today it shares my collection of vintage Haviland-Limoges and Austrian plates and small bowls with roses.
- Butcher block ~ our knife holder is always out on display, as is our toaster and one of two butter dishes. This time the Butter Lady is out; she is from Poland and matches a teapot and warmer I brought back from England about 15 years ago.
To go along with the soft pinks, and because I had so many cake plates up above, it seemed fitting that I finally create this faux 3/4 cake…
Not totally finished yet ~ I ran out of Queen Anne’s Lace faux flowerheads ~ I love the Flower Cake’s look! The moss is the “cake” and the flowers are the frostings, filling, and top.
These flower cakes were super popular to make about 30 years ago now. Maybe this will bring back a new trend??!
Thanks for stopping by today!
Here is a list of everyone on today’s Pinterest Challenge tour. If you are following along in order, or just going randomly, have fun clicking onward!
Up next is Niky from The House on Silverado who has such a pretty kitchen… How she decorated her kitchen for this challenge is perfect, too! I know you will be inspired by her springtime kitchen display…
Happy spring redecorating, friends!
Hugs, Barb 🙂
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!Click here to enter
18 thoughts on “Bringing Out Pretties for Springtime in the Kitchen”
It’s so fun doing theses challenges together. Great post.
Thank you so much, Rachel! This was a really pretty one to do. I enjoyed your kitchen immensely!
Have a great week,
Hi Barbara, Looks great. I love your plans for painting. I painted our island grey (as a start) and loved the look. That flower cake is incredible too! xo laura in CO
Hi Laura, I can’t wait to see your island!! Painting cabinets, furniture and walls just brings such a change and cheerfulness to our homes ~ a great refresh. Glad you enjoyed my kitchen’s spring look.
Such exciting plans for your kitchen! Love that piece of cake. 🙂
Thank you, Laura! It’ll be so much brighter when it is done. 🙂
I’m doing the same in the kitchen these days. Spring refresh. Yours looks great!
Cabinet painting always seems daunting, but ends up being easier than we expect! Go for it, girlfriend! I did my bathroom in one day (the painting, at least… prep was another day!).
Your kitchen is gorgeous and that cake has my mouth watering. I would love a nice big slice right about now.
I love your kitchen and your flower cake is the perfect kitchen decor for spring!
I can see why you’re loving the new spring look in your kitchen – it’s so cute. I’d keep that cake out all the way through summer too. How fun was that to make?! Very creative. Love the new ideas for your kitchen as well. Hope you find the time this summer. Do you remember our kitchen here in HV? It’s almost the same color as your old kitchen! You need to come visit this summer. Thank you for joining us. Pinned
Lovely spring styling Barb, especially with that too pretty to eat cake! I can’t to see what you do with your upper cabinets. I’m thinking about doing the same when I can convince the Mister! 😉
That flower cake is so cool, Barb! Totally about time for that trend to come back;) Fun to see your kitchen decor!
I’m loving all your spring touches Barb. Especially that cake! I can’t wait to see what you do the cabinets.
Barb, I love all your baskets. They had great warmth to your kitchen. I’ve never heard of a flower cake. It’s so cute. When you have such pretty dishes, it is great to display them. Happy Spring.